What causes duplicate speakers on the agenda?
A speaker can be duplicated on the agenda if the same speaker is submitter by two different submitters.
For example if these two submissions are received
- Submitter: ‘Abi’
- Title: ‘Solo Session’
- Speakers: ‘Abi’
- Submitter: ‘Joe’
- Title: ‘Panel Discussion’
- Chair: ‘Joe’
- Panel Member: ‘Abi’
- Panel Member: ‘Nick’
- Panel Member: ‘Rachel’
When you create sessions on the agenda there will be two ‘Abi’ speakers on the agenda list.
This happens because the submissions are received from different submitters and we cannot expose personal information given by one submitter to another, as such they are not automatically linked. If one submitter makes multiple submissions with the same speaker then there will be no duplication.
How do I resolve duplicate speakers?
To resolve this issue you can mark a speaker as a duplicate of another speaker. What happens when you do this is
- The speaker you choose replaces the duplicate speaker for all their sessions.
- The duplicate speaker is removed
For the example above, if ‘Abi’ from the first submission was chosen to be the preferred speaker then deduplication will
- Assign ‘Abi’ to be a Panel Member on the ‘Panel Discussion’ session
- Delete the duplicate ‘Abi’ speaker from the agenda.
To do this navigate to, Agenda Planning, Speakers, then click on the name of the speaker you want to retain. Then click this button:
You will then be presented with a popup where you can choose the speakers you want to mark as a duplicate.
What happens if a submission is updated after the duplicate speaker is removed?
A submission may be updated by the submitter after a speaker has been marked as a duplicate. For example, if the ‘Panel Discussion’ submission from Joe was updated after Abi was marked as a duplicate of Abi in ‘Solo Session’, then the below will happen when the session is updated.
- If Abi’s role was changed, from example from Panel Member to Chair, then their role on Panel Discussion will be updated as expected.
- If Abi is removed from the submission, then they will be removed from the session.
- Other changes to Abi’s data, such as headshot, bio, email etc.. will be ignored because their data is now coming from the ‘Solo Session’ submission.
Can I undo a duplicate speaker?
If you need to restore the duplicated speaker that was removed then you can do the following
- Navigate to the Submission Flow and Submission that the speaker was created from.
- Scroll down to the Speakers answers
- Click the ‘Undo’ icon next to the text
This clears the duplicate marker. You can then choose to either add the speaker to the agenda, or ignore them
Is the speaker confirmation status retained when de-duplicating?
Yes, the speaker confirmation status for the speaker will be retained. I.e. if they are already marked confirmed, they will still be marked confirmed after you de-duplicate the speaker.